It’s a season for me to reflect,
To look back and reflect on the distance we have covered together,
Since that day You took me by the hand
And showed me there is more to life than pain and shame.
Gentle Lord and Savior,
I’m so blessed to be yours, and for ever,
I pledge my eternal allegiance and loyalty,
My love and submission to your will.
But there will be days when it seems hard to take the narrow road,
Yet you have promised never to leave me nor forsake me,
With this promise I look to future with hope,
For faithful are You to bring me home save to you.
Never downgrade yourself in order to be accepted in lower circles,
Those who need you will upgrade themselves to your level
Then they will join your club.
Remember, many look up to you for inspiration and leadership.
Do not disappoint them because you want to please people who have refused to grow up.
You may stoop down to bring them up,
But never stoop too low as to become one of them.
The world needs the big you, the courageous you, the brave you.
Stoop to conquer.
Happiness is not the absence of trouble
but the ability to smile in spite of it all
because we know God is in control
and the out come will always be glorious
for those who trust in Him shall not be put to shame.
Life is a chance (to do something great) and happiness is a choice you make.
Some years back I was hopeless, lost and suicidal.
Then I asked God why He ever suffered me to live on the earth.
He showed me my purpose and His plan for my life.
And then I began to live.
I live to give hope to the hopeless.
I live to heal broken hearts and wounded souls.
That is my purpose.
Thou O Lord art my supreme Love
No other can I love like thee
Thy love for me knows no bounds
And states no condition for me to reach
Whether I’m weary, whether I’m sore
Thou lovest me just the same
With thee I fear no break-up or divorce
For when I’m unworthy thou lovest even more
Give me a heart to love thee forever
For when all else fails to keep the promise
Thy unfailing love for me becomes my refuge.
Prophet Elijah had just show cased the power of God and the anointing on his life by challenging and then killing the prophets of Baal as proof of the fact that his own God, the Almighty is the only true God.
When Queen Jezebel their spiritual leader hears of it she promises to reduce Elijah to the same fate. The prophet runs for his dear life and hides himself far away from the city. He is depressed and suicidal. He wants to end it all.
What a paradoxical reaction just after the Mount Carmel demonstration of God’s power.
God comes to him and asks him a very simple but profound question;
“What are you doing here Elijah?”
Has God now changed? Has He ceased to be the same God who answers by fire?
Today this same God is asking some of us; “what are you doing here my daughter/ my son?
What are you doing in that depression, talented young lady?
What are you doing in that suicide idealization, gifted young man?
What are you doing in that sickness and infirmity, daughter of the Most High?
What are you doing in that fear and uncertainty, wise old leader?
Have you forgotten how I showed up for you in the past?
Have you forgotten how we broke protocol in the past?
What are you doing here Elijah?
Thank you Lord for always receiving us back with open arms
You never chase us away in anger when we come back to you
With bleeding wounds and festering ones
Even those wounds you did warn us about
Thank you Daddy, for your patience towards us.
I used to think that if I don’t get a good dose of joy myself, then I’m unable or unqualified to bring joy to other people’s lives. I’ve since changed my paradigm.
I’ve learned that it takes just a little effort and will power to make someone’s day.
When I share the little I have it goes out and comes back to me in a boomerang effect.
It’s selfish of me to think that because I don’t have what I want, I’ve got nothing to share.
I could be unhappy, but at the same time possessing the seed to someone’s happiness.
At Gethsemane, Jesus wasn’t happy about going to the cross. But He knew my happiness depended thereon. So He went.
Anybody can give when in affluence; true generosity is seen when we give out of little.
If I’m sharing this, it’s not because I’ve crossed the finished line and can now turn around and mentor those who are still behind. I still have my own struggles in this area; but as I learn, I share to bless others.
What does it mean to live the crucified life?
- Putting God first in everything I do. Not seeking my own pleasure first, but seeking to please Him first.
- Always seeking to know what He desires and wants me to do in each situation.
- Willingness to suffer rejection, humiliation, persecution and pain for His sake.
- The willingness to accept His will even at my own inconvenience.
- Acceptance that my own wishes, desires, will and pleasure are valid only if He validates them.
- Refusal to take the glory for any victory won, but giving all the glory to Him.
- The ability to say “Thy will be done”, from the very bottom of my heart.
Folks, this is the hardest part of Christianity and those who have attained to it receive of His spirit without measure.
May the Lord Himself help us to attain to such full stature so that we can indeed be His ambassadors on the earth.
I asked for a neat and orderly man;
You just gave me an untidy one who scatters where I gather.
Yes my daughter, that’s why you grew up amidst five male siblings;
I’ve been grooming you for this very thing.
I asked for a slim girl with no spot on the skin;
You just gave me a fat and spotted leopard.
Ooh, indeed my little boy;
Why do you think I gave you all that money?
Spend some on her and you’ll get your desired result.
My blessing may come in a package you do not desire
But always remember, beneath lies your desire.
No matter how dark the clouds may appear,
The sun will surely shine in the end,
For behind every dark cloud
Are powerful rays of sunlight.
When I look back on my life I discover that the time I was the hardest to please coincides with the time I hated myself the most. What is the relationship between these two realities?
If you do not like yourself, nobody else will be able to make you do it and you will be rather hard to please. Why do people hate themselves so?
- Long exposure to negative feedback. When people keep hitting it home that you are no good, you could end up accepting it and that will define the way you see yourself.
- Lack of positive feedback and appreciation for efforts you invest. When no one ever tells you it was well done you could start thinking you never do anything worth encouraging.
- Your best efforts always seem to produce the most mediocre results. You must find out what you are good at and excel therein. You can’t get your best grades in an area you are not gifted in.
- The kind of things that happened to you in the past. You might have messed up much too often. But remember, we all do mess up sometimes.
- Disabilities that make you look and feel different. This could be very tough, but not impossible to overcome. You need God’s grace for this one. God can enable you to love yourself in spite of any disability you carry.
When faced with self-hatred, we must not blame anyone for our condition. This will only lead to bitterness and that is not good either, for our emotional stability.
It will be an error to try to use our relationships as a means of finding happiness. Strive to get happy as an individual. If you want to get it out of others you might become too demanding and more difficult to please.
Don’t use other people’s successes and achievements as a means to your own happiness. They might no longer be there tomorrow and you will find yourself sinking even lower.
From my own experience I can tell you that getting a lot of stuff around you doesn’t help. A new house, a new car etc. will help you but only for a season.
Ask yourself if you can really be happy if all the stuff were taken away from you. If the answer is yes, then you are happy indeed, or let me say you are experiencing joy.
What do I do then?
- Ask God to show you your intrinsic value. There is something about you that when you discover you will begin to sing, and then you will never stop singing ever.
- Develop your potentials and become a blessing to others. There is great joy in giving. When you live your life helping others you will hardly get depressed.
- Find out your weaknesses and accept them. Stop trying to wipe away your weaknesses by your efforts. If you fail you could become more depressed. Acknowledge them, bring them to God and leave them there.
- Read the kind of books that will build up your self-image. Avoid going to places and being with people that speak negativity, that always try to bring you down.
Be happy apart from them, then you will be happy with them.
When you get into a relationship it should be to share what you have, not to get what you want.